One of the best ways to boost your business is advertising and one of the most affordable ways to advertise is using signs and displays. For most people, designing and creating indoor and outdoor signs and displays seem fairly easy but there is more to it than meets the eye. The process of creating these advertisements involves a lot of factors and considerations and most people are not aware of this fact.
Why is signage and displays so important? Signs are used to promote or present information, give directions and raise awareness about a business, location or cause and much more. It can also serve a myriad of purposes:
- To advertise and market your enterprise
- To attract potential customers or clients
- To help create brand recognition
- To help customers or clients find their way
- To keep people safe
Creating an effective sign or display might seem like something of a minefield but manufacturing one is actually a simpler process than you might realise. There are many stages when it comes to getting a custom sign or display made.
Perfect your design
What are you hoping to achieve with your sign or display? EW Signs has an experienced design team who can help you devise the perfect design for your needs. Alternatively, you can create a design yourself using a number of different formats such as Adobe Indesign, Powerpoint or CorelDraw. Once your design is agreed, it’s time to get to work on making it a reality.
So that your display creates maximum impact, take note of the following design principles and implement the appropriate ones for your business:
- Keep it clear and easy to read. In most cases, short and clear messages are better at conveying what you want as it is visible and legible at a glance. Although signs and displays come in all shapes and sizes, choose the size that is appropriate for the distance you expect it to be viewed or read from. Take into consideration where it will be installed and what possible obstacles might hinder its view. When it comes to signage and displays, full visibility is the key.
- Keep it simple. So that you can effectively communicate your message, it needs to be concise and free from clutter. If possible, your message must be able to reach your target audience using just a few words. Crowding your ads with too much text will make it harder to read from a distance. The effective use of white-space can be implemented. This means leaving 30 to 40 per cent of the signage or display area left as white space so that your ads can be easily read from afar.
- Use an easily legible font. To get the maximum impact from your signage and displays, fonts that are easy-to-read are the best choice. Using upper and lower case texts are also the best way to go rather than going for all capital letters. If you are planning to use more than one font, choose fonts that complement each other and are readable from a distance.
- Take advantage of the graphical elements. If your target audience is people on the motorway, adding a border on your signs and displays will increase its reading speed by up to 25 per cent. To add greater impact, you can use wonderful layouts, designs, logos, artworks and coloured images.
- Choose an optimal background colour. Always keep in mind the visibility and readability of your signs and displays. If you are using a dark background, contrast it with elements of lighter colour and vice versa.
- Use an effective colour combination. Numerous studies have shown that there are certain colour combinations that are optimal for readability at a distance. These are just some of the colour combinations that you can consider; black on yellow, black on white, brown on yellow, brown on white, blue on yellow, green on white, white on blue, white on green, white on brown and yellow on black.
Define your audience and location
The choice of materials and printing techniques for your sign or display depends on where it will be located, what its purpose is and how long it’s required to last. A permanent road sign, for instance, will have to withstand a lot more wear and tear than an internal display in a shop or a sign in a restaurant.
Choose the correct material for your needs
Signs and displays can be made from any number of materials including high-quality aluminium, Trespa, Correx boards, A Board and foam panels. The type of material you need will depend upon the type of sign you are making. For example, traffic signs need to be hard-wearing and able to withstand anything that the notorious British weather throws at them. They also need to be made from a specialist reflective material so that they are easily visible to drivers at night and can be seen in poor weather conditions.
Sit back as your sign or display is printed
Your design can then be printed to the correct dimension onto a wide range of different media. These can then be used in conjunction with your particular type of sign or display be they vehicle graphics, weatherproof outdoor event banners or snap shut/open commercial advertising.
Let us take care of the installation
The experienced team at EW Signs can install the sign at your premises. This could be a simple process of screwing a plate to the wall or installing an entire shop front fitting.
Here at Enterprise Work, we have a reputation for providing unrivalled products and service, including signs and displays for numerous businesses and organisations in Swindon and all over the UK. Aside from that, we have been supporting people with disabilities in Swindon since 1963. If you want to discover our diverse range of reasonably priced signage and display solutions, get in touch with our team on 07392 109856 or firstname.lastname@example.org today!